How to design a casual summer home (plus sources)
Last week I encouraged you to paint your space white to lighten up for summer. If you want to move a step beyond that, I've gathered for you all the essentials you'll need to refresh your home or cottage to make it casual, inviting, and relaxing for the season.
I had fun working on a client project this week for her summer cottage. We worked with a lot of her own furniture and added in a few fresh things that will update the cottage without doing a major makeover on it. I came across some great items while I was sourcing. Hope this also helps you create a summer home you'll enjoy!
1. Sherwin Williams Pure White for walls.
2. Large jute basket for throws and pillows by Simons.
3. Striped towels for kitchen and bath by Simons.
4. Grow herbs and succulents on windowsills.
5. Jute rug from Wayfair. Different sizes for around your home - very forgiving of dirt and soft underfoot.
6. Black iron hooks for entryway from HomeDepot.
7. Stump stool - check locally (I sell in Fredericton, NB) or Etsy.
8. Colourful seagrass basket at door for shoes and gear, by Wicker Emporium.
9. Summer throws by Simons.
10. Pretty bowl for display or serving, from Ten Thousand Villages.
11. Beachy and beautiful art by the talented Kimberley Eddy of Nova Scotia. Choose a pair for maximum impact!
12. Refresh your cushions with covers in blues, greens, and aquas and support small-business makers on Etsy at the same time.
13. Pull up some casual wicker chairs to a dining table or a small bistro table and get comfy while spending time with family or friends (or a good book). From Wayfair.
14. Paint out an old wood dining table if it's not in great shape. Or find one at a flea market or yard sale. Prime first and then paint in untinted white semi-gloss. Put a coat of water-based polyurethane on top to keep it from chipping.
15. Add some ambient lighting to stretch out your evenings. This glass one from Canadian Tire is light and breezy for summer.
16. Find some driftwood, an interesting rock, or a shell to put on display and bring the benefits of nature inside.
17. Give your home a boost of green with a large plant such as a fiddle leaf fig, palm, or philodendron selloum. All are great for winter too as they detox the inside air.
For more sources of artwork and decor check out my Etsy Summer Casual board.